Mortuary turned Winery!
John Stoltz and thee interns from lithuania
Our winery is in the oldest house in town. The building was constructed in 1886 for Ezra and Georgiana Smith. They came across the Oregon Trail to Hood River by covered wagon from Illinois. Ezra found early success as one of our areas first successful orchardist. He also collaborated for the first bank in Hood River, was elected to the Oregon House of Representatives and oversaw the construction of a few historic buildings downtown Hood River.
The building was subsequently acquired by CC Anderson in 1922 and with her enormous basement was used as the town morgue. Anderson Funeral Home installed a steam powered body lift, cadaver laboratory, and other parts for the operations. The
cellar's natural low temperature served well in hosting Hood River's deceased.
The Stoltz family bought the building in 1986, her one hundredth birthday, and
established two of their business in the first and second floors. Now we use
this historic structure for the production and serving of our